ATTENDANCE, ABSENCES AND TRUANCY
Regular school attendance is a necessary part of a student’s education. Excessive absences impair a student’s educational progress, impacts whether the student passes or fails a grade, and may result in court proceedings. Students will be considered absent when they miss 50% of their school day. School begins at 7:55 a.m. and ends at 2:05 p.m. School ends at 1:05 p.m. on Wednesdays.
Students who have been absent from school shall bring a note from a parent/guardian within 48 hrs. of returning to school, stating the cause of the absence. Failure to bring in a note will result in an automatic unexcused absence. However, the fact that the student brings in a note does not require the school administration to excuse the absence.
- Students must be in school unless the absence has been excused for one of the reasons listed below:
- Personal illness
- Illness of an immediate family member
- Death in the family
- Religious holiday
- Required court appearance
- Special events, including, but not limited to, important public functions, student conferences, student state/national competitions that are school-sponsored, as well as exceptional cases of family need
- Doctor/Dentist appointments
- Students having or suspected of having a communicable disease or infestation that can be transmitted are to be excluded from school and are not allowed to return to school until they no longer present a health hazard (Florida Statute 1003.22). Students are allowed a maximum of 3 days excused.
Make up work for elementary students is incorporated in classroom teaching upon the student’s return to school. Students shall have one day to complete and turn in the work for each day the student is absent.
TARDY TO SCHOOL
Please remember that it is important that your child does not lose instructional time. If your child arrives at school after 7:55 it will be necessary for you to walk with your child into the office and sign them into the computer.
A student may be deemed truant after 5 unexcused absences within a calendar month, or 10 unexcused absences within a 90 calendar day period.
School attendance is very important! We are busy with instruction all day, every day, and your child needs to be at school as much as possbile to benefit from all of that instruction. Please take the time to review the documents below.