Section 1002.01, Florida Statutes, defines a “home education” program as a sequentially progressive instruction of a student directed by his or her parent in order to satisfy the attendance requirements of ss. 1102.41, 1003.01(4), and 1003.21(1).
Who can teach in a home education setting? The parent/guardian is not required to hold a valid regular Florida teaching certificate. However, there are explicit requirements a parent must meet in order to establish a home education program. Parents who desire to investigate this option are encouraged to contact the local school district offices or visit the Florida Parent-Educators Association website at www.fpea.com.
Below are the Nassau County School District's Notice of Intent, Notice of Termination, and FLDOE's Overview Packet for Home Education. The Notices of Intent and Termination are forms that must be returned to Nassau County School District, Office of Home Education. The parent or guardian may complete the form online, save to a computer, and return via email, or a completed form may be printed and returned by postal mail or fax. All contact information can be found at the bottom of the forms. For any additional questions you may contact our office at 904-277-9029.
Updated information about Florida Standards Assessments and End of Course Exams for 2019-2020
All FSA and EOC assessments have been cancelled for the 2019-2020 school year. Please read the following announcement from Nassau County School District Superintendent, Dr. Kathy Burns. We will continue to post updates on our school district website www.nassau.k12.fl.us.
Superintendent Update from March 17, 2020
Nassau County School District Families,
Within the last hour, Superintendents throughout the state held a conference call with the Chancellor of K-12 Education, Jacob Oliva. We wanted to update you on the latest information we have received.
- School districts throughout Florida, including Nassau County, will be closed until April 15th.
- All PreK-12 grade state assessments will be canceled for the remainder of the year.
- We are working diligently to prepare our instructional continuity plan.
- The state is working closely with us to make sure this has no negative impact on students, especially Seniors.
We will update you tomorrow with more details. Please know that we will continue to work together for the success of students during this unprecedented time. We Are Nassau!
- Notice of Intent for 2020-2021
- Notice of Termination for 2020-2021
- Notice of Withdraw (Return this form when moving a Home Education enrollment to a new District within the State of Florida.)
- Florida State Assessment and End of Course Testing- Optional Enrollment
- Requirements of a Home Education Program
- Sample Evaluation Form
- Home Education Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- Home Education and Dual Enrollment
- Home Education and Bright Futures Scholarship
- FHSAA EL-7 Registration Form for a Home Education Student for Athletics
- FHSAA EL-14 Verification of Student Controlled Open Enrollment for Athletics Only