Section 1002.01, Florida Statutes, defines a “home education” program as a sequentially progressive instruction of a student directed by his or her parent in order to satisfy the attendance requirements of ss. 1102.41, 1003.01(4), and 1003.21(1).
Who can teach in a home education setting? The parent/guardian is not required to hold a valid regular Florida teaching certificate. However, there are explicit requirements a parent must meet in order to establish a home education program. Parents who desire to investigate this option are encouraged to contact the local school district offices or visit the Florida Parent-Educators Association website at www.fpea.com.
Below are the Nassau County School District's Notice of Intent, Notice of Termination, and FLDOE's Overview Packet for Home Education. The Notices of Intent and Termination are forms that must be returned to Nassau County School District, Office of Home Education. The parent or guardian may complete the form online, save to a computer, and return via email, or a completed form may be printed and returned by postal mail or fax. All contact information can be found at the bottom of the forms. For any additional questions you may contact our office at 904-277-9029.
- Notice of Intent for 2022-2023
- Notice of Termination for 2022-2023
- Notice of Transfer (Return this form when moving a Home Education enrollment to a new District within the State of Florida.)
- Sample Teacher Evaluation Form
- Home Education Questions and Answers from Florida's Department of Education
- Florida Parent Educators Association
- Home Education and Dual Enrollment
- Home Education and Bright Futures Scholarship