What is Office 365?
Office 365 is a cloud-based service developed by Microsoft to provide safe, secure, remotely hosted, web-based email, calendaring, and collaboration services to business and educational institutions. The servers and software that underpin Office 365 are based on Microsoft’s Exchange messaging platform and Microsoft Office productivity suite.
Key features include:
- Outlook and Outlook Web App with 100GB of secure cloud-based email storage
- Office Web Apps (Web-based versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- OneDrive for Business with 1TB of secure cloud-based file storage
Why has the District migrated to Office 365?
Our District had many reasons to migrate to Office 365. Some reasons were:
- Microsoft now offers educational institutions a feature-rich suite of email and collaboration tools, Office 365, at little or no cost to educational institutions. Office 365 provides these tools without the need for additional software, hardware, or storage equipment. Microsoft’s technicians and engineers manage all aspects of security, system updates, and data backups. They maintain a 99% uptime guarantee.
- The Florida Department of Education has adopted Office 365, and it is rapidly gaining ground in school districts, colleges, and universities.
- Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, Office 365 is built on the industry-standard Exchange email platform and Microsoft Office productivity suite (Word, Excel, etc.), which integrate natively into the most common computing devices (desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones) and operating systems (Windows, Mac OS, and iOS).