Bus stop requests are handled in a specific order at the the beginning of each school year through the first 6 weeks of school. Stop requests are prioritized as follows: (1) Any student who does not have a stop that meets state and local guidelines & students with special needs, (2) All other requests. Change requests for students who already have an existing bus stop that meets all state and local criteria will not be evaluated until mid-September.
Allow up to 10 school days for a response to a bus stop request. If you would like to request a bus stop, please fill out the bus stop request form and forward to our office (email or fax, 904-225-9404).
The following guidelines for bus stops are set by Florida Statutes, Florida Administrative Codes, and Nassau County Administrative Rules:
- Parents must ensure the safe travel of their students during the portion of each trip to and from school and home when the students are not under the custody and control of the school and the assigned bus stop when the district provides transportation.
- No student, except for special needs students, is provided with school transportation if they live within one mile of a school, for K-5 students, or within two miles of a school for secondary students, 6-12.
- School transportation shall be between home and school, school and home, and on a public right of way maintained by the State or County.
- When possible, school bus stops shall be no further than 2/10 of a mile from an elementary student's residence and no more than 4/10 of a mile from a secondary student's residence.
- A bus stop defined by a controlled intersection of roads shall be made 50 feet before, or 200 feet after, the intersection.
- In order for Transportation to be provided, the public road must have adequate clearance and a safe turn around area, if needed.
- Spur routes shall be in excess of one half mile, be a safe road, have satisfactory clearance and a safe turn around area.
- The designation of school bus routes, bus turning areas, and student stop locations shall not be left to the discretion of the bus driver or the parents/guardians of the students.
- The full capacity of each school bus shall be utilized.